Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Thoughts About Freedom.

Since I started and write the articles that a few -but growing- people daily use to read, I've been feeling that I was doing something dangerous...I don't know why, but the sensation is exactly fear to communicate, no matter the issues I'm writing about. Politics, Economics, Human Rights, Environment, the fact you talk -and above all- you communicate your position about that, put you under a sort of judgment coming from who knows where. Maybe there is people who's work is controlling human brains: as they see that a brain feels the need to communicate something so normal (at the point to become extraordinary) they stop it. A lot of personal friends of mine read this blog every day and they ask me if I'm worry or not about the consequences that the things I write down could have on my freedom. I always answer that I'm not afraid at all, just because I take the informations I comment on this space from respectable papers like New York Times or websites like bbc.com, so why should I have to be afraid and for what? But maybe my friends are not so wrong, in fact if you take a look at the 'Reporters Without Borders' web site you can see the 2007 press freedom index. Unites States of America took the position number 48, following countries like Portugal, Hungary, Namibia, Taiwan and unbelievable, Italy. Day after day it becomes more and more clear that Governments repression no longer ignore bloggers, in so many places in the world bloggers are arrested everyday for the ideas they communicate through the web, from Reporters Without Borders: "We are concerned about the increase in cases of online censorship, more and more Governments have realized that the internet can play a key role in the fight for democracy and they are establishing new methods of censoring it. The Governments of repressing countries (is US a repressing country?) are now targeting bloggers and on line journalists as forcefully as journalists in the traditional media".
But I wonder: if a Government censures a person who's freely taking a position about a fact like a war or a genocide, the fact the Government take the decision to put under silence this person, isn't just it a proof that this person was telling us the truth? I mean if someone says lies, State Advocates can call him in front of a court that will impartially decide if he is wrong or right, but in the case he tells the truth they have no legal weapons. They just can close the web space, arrest or deport. What about human rights? I thought that I could say everything I wanted, or is that allowed till the moment I start to have in my hands an instrument like the blog that let me communicate my ideas to the world, costing me exactly ZERO? I think this is the key, FOR FREE: if I need money to communicate, different establishments of power could perfectly control me at the moment they control money as money system (look previous posts 'The Big Bank"). Dictatures or repressing Government are not afraid about ideas, they are afraid about the free and without filters instruments letting these ideas circulate through the world, and above all, through other million of millions of open minded people. I'm sorry gentlemen, you cannot stop technology, you can close all the blogs you'd like to close and people will find other ways to protest and share free ideas. Thank you for your time and attention.

-rsf.org-

No comments: