Monday, August 4, 2008

The Great Escape.

This is the first time, since I decided to start this blog, that I'm posting an article not having the purpose to tell you the truth about something I discovered researching on the web. What I'd like to do with this article is to tell you a story, it's a story that I absolutely hope will represent the reality on a fact that captured my curiosity a couple of weeks ago.
Let's begin with a little bit of biology and science: honey is a sweet and viscous fluid produced by honey bees, derived directly from the nectar of flowers, it is laid down by bees as a food source. In cold weather or when food sources are scarce, bees use their stored honey as their source of energy. In the hive there are three types of bee: the single Queen bee, a seasonally variable number of drone bees to fertilize new Queens, and some 20,000 to 40,000 worker bees. The workers are in charge to raise larvae and collect the nectar that will become honey in the hive, that's mean that worker bees are supposed to go out regularly to get some nectar from flowers and come back to the hive to start and produce honey, right away. They do it using their "honey stomachs" to ingest and regurgitate the nectar a number of times until it is partially digested, they work together as a group with this process until the product reached a desired quality. After that it is stored in the honeycomb...I don't want to waste your time talking about the amazing hexagonal geometry and perfection of these cells used by bees to contain larvae and store honey and pollen, it's an incredible demonstration of nature beauty, precision and power.
With only these few informations we can already understand that bees (and animals in general) have a very efficient and cool brain, different from the human one but genial as well. I'm also sure -but I have no idea if that is scientifically demonstrated or still not- that bees communicate between themselves without any problem, just like us, fortunately they don't even need to learn English, as I guess they speak one, whole language. I think bees' society is much more advanced and open minded than ours. That's why i think they don't like us pretty much. Bees' mission is create new lives and produce honey, beekeepers leave in the hive enough honey to survive, the rest is for pleasure. I don't think they appreciate it too much, at the moment I'm sure about their brain, I think they don't go crazy when that smoke enter inside their houses to "calm" them.
Ok, I know, it seemed a little bit to much "DreamWorks" to me too when I first thought about it, but this is a story, it's not the truth.
I think bees, like millions of other animal species, don't like humans, and I perfectly understand why just looking pictures of beekeepers opening -uncapping- cells, with strange forks or big knives. I saw that normal images from their side, and I felt bad. They spend their lives ingesting nectar and regurgitating honey and they have fun and they reproduce themselves with no problems, it's a nice insect, it produce an amazing and very healthy product, I'm not against human use of honey, I'm against human abuse of it. This is the era of abuses, against everyone, everybody against everybody, trying to get more and more of everything. I don't think bees were so angry with humans 15,000 years ago at the beginning of beekeeping art.
Someone named it Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD), someone else think that the responsible is the pollution, others that captivity bees developed a virus infecting bees in nature. By the way starting from January 2008, 40% of bees in the world disappeared. I read that this happened regularly during the history of beekeeping, this convinced me more that they escaped. It's a kind of periodic and epic revolution that interest this intelligent insect. I love to think that bees planned for years or decades this great escape, I like to think they are somewhere far from humans drinking honey cocktails and swimming in pools full of it. I even like the though they all died, the fact they chose to die instead of going ahead producing their precious honey for men, make me feel smaller than a single BEE as a human being. That's the story I liked to tell you as the last post before the "Special Beijing 2008 Olympic Games" during which the blog will be utilized exclusively to talk bad about China. Thank you for your time and attention.

-Corriere.it - Wikipedia.org - Masterbeekeeper.org -

No comments: